Monday, July 10, 2006

Health

Well, I'm still in the valley of the shadow of death.

His staff and His rod, nay, His presence comforts me.

Health is so important to achieve so many things. And without health, there're so many things I want to do that I cannot.

Makes one appreciate the simple things like being able to communicate. I can't even carry on a vocal conversation right now.

It never occurred to me that this coughing is from God. Nor that God allowed it to happen.

In fact I had a conversation with a brother where we differed on this point. He pointed out to the OT where it said God caused this, God caused that (bad stuff) to happen. And Pastor said that in the hebrew, according to some greek scholar (I think it was Thayer), that the word "caused" was in the permissive rather than active tense.

But my point was this is NT, post-cross. I'm practical. Whether God caused it to happen (active) or allowed it to happen (passive), the fact is it makes no difference with regards to the result. i.e. I still have that $%^&* cough. And doing something or doing nothing when He can do something, is an expression of His will. I know my Abba. And His will is NOT for me to be sick.

I can only say that by His stripes I'm healed.

I'm not actually over bothered by the cough at first, only recently, because of it's duration... :S

I just remember that God makes all things work for good for those who love Him.

Sometimes, I think of this trial like vaccinations.

God will not allow us to be tempted more than we're able to cope. And actually, with each new 'trial', by persevering, I actually emerge stronger. Each time I'm sick, I'm interested in studying health. Appropriating health. Learning about Jehovah-Repheka - The Lord that heals.

When I'm suffering lack, it's then that I learn about the Lord being my inheritance. Leaning on, relying on Him.

With every vaccination, I gain a deeper understanding, a fresh reminder. Like this time. Like this cough.

Just reminds me of how sweet being healthy is. To be grateful for health. In every little thing.

This cough just makes me angry now! I just imagine that sick spirit of infirmity latching onto me. urgh! Let me think no more on it but focus on the cross, on the holy communion; let me remind myself that His body was broken for me.


Surely He has borne our griefs
And carried our sorrows;
Yet we esteemed Him stricken,
Smitten by God, and afflicted.
But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities;
The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
And by His stripes we are healed


Isaiah 53

No comments: