Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Songs that soothe

There's nothing like music, a tender reminder to soothe the soul. I was looking through the song list we had for our last CG.

Looking through the lyrics of "Blessed Jesus", I was reminded of what Pastor said. When we are thirsty for Him, it's not about reading the bible, listening to sermons, but what does the Word say?

On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. (John 7:37)

It's about coming to Jesus. Him alone. Not the bible. Not doing the christian things. When we open the bible, we ought to pray, "Abba, open the eyes of my heart to see Jesus" so that the bible becomes a medium of connection to Him - not just read for the sake of reading. How I needed to be reminded of that!


Blessed Jesus

Blessed Jesus come to me
Soothe my soul with songs of peace
As I look to You alone
Fill me with Your love

Mountains high and valleys low
You will never let me go
By Your fountain let me drink
Fill my thirsty soul

Glorious marvellous grace that rescued me
Holy worthy is the Lamb who died for me!



When circumstances around me distract, when my emotions become confused - when I'm searching for an anchor to hang on to, I struggle to keep my heart and my mind on Him.

Sometimes it's a flow, there's a yearning and a want, and it's easy as I turn, relieved to find Him.

Sometimes it seems difficult because it's easy to let go and get tossed about in the currents - becoming angsty seems so normal in the world, a common indulgence. And I have to struggle to be still and be reminded that it's better, safer, in His arms. Here's a stanza.. :)

Find rest my soul
In Christ alone
Know His power
in quietness and trust


Sometimes, I search God with a desperation. I know He'll never leave nor forsake me. But I'm desperate for a sense of His presence. I wish I have that sense about me all the time. But I know by faith, that He is with me every moment of every day. His is the only unconditional love - a tidal wave of love. A mighty love that I can hang my confidence on. Why then am I desperate for the sense, the emotional quality of it?

I want to sing until I am lost in Your love
Til I'm found in Your presence
Worshipping before Your throne
Filled by Your Spirit
entering into Your flow
Oh, how precious this moment
Lord, I want You to know

It's You, You who have won my heart
Taken me into Your arms
Comforted me like a friend
Your love surrounded me from the start
I never want to be apart
from You ever again



Perhaps, in terms of His love, I'll always want to be Abba's beautiful beloved child. And yet in other ways, I want to grow up faster! Be an adult - to be more mature spiritually! Hmm.. what is spiritual maturity? I think it's not about bible knowledge or going to bible school.. but to have that revelation of the width, length, depth and height of His love for me - that beautiful revelation of Jesus! Oh Abba, show me more!

1 comment:

cybeRanger said...

Thanks for this wonderful post.