Monday, March 06, 2006

Moving in

I've wanted to move out for some time. You know, do some growing up, have my own place - no more clashing with family members, absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that...

I was just reminded of this again when I was reading the papers. This lady was talking about the sterotype that good Chinese girls staying home. And about moving on - or in this case moving out.

Till recently (a month ago), I thought this way. I mean, it's time to learn to do my own laundry, cook my own food, mend my own clothes (we have a domestic helper at home). It's like "training" to be my own woman when I get married and all that. And moving myself away from available help make me learn these 'life skills' that I needed.

Well, some of you may know, my parents are looking for a place. We've sold off our family home here. There're 5 of us in the family (plus 1 for the maid). And dad and mum had a tough time trying to find an apartment with enough rooms for all of us.

Finally we shortlisted two. One was a flat, next to a plaza, windy, high floor, near bus-stops and interchange, but one bedroom short. But my sister and I are willing to share.

The other was a beautiful jumbo flat, very clean, windy area but out of the way with not many amenities.

Well we were discussing. And were split between the two. Of course, being siblings, we would prefer to have a room of our own instead of sharing - if we could. The former was very attractive and convenient.

And I was all for it. And at first my dad was all for it as well. Until I told him that we would "prefer" if we "could". It was not such a big thing and I was okay to share. But my dad said something which really moved me.

"You know I would give the moon to you all if I could," (wow, never thought my dad could say such a thing! He's such a traditional Chinese father, I thought!)

"of course, I want to give both of you separate rooms if I could, but the price offered is not reasonable." (the latter owner of the jumbo flat wanted to sell $30-40K above valuation)

I totally agreed with my dad. And insisted it was okay to get our first choice. There's no problem in my sister and myself sharing a room.

I thought it was settled.

Later on, I heard my dad talking over the phone with the agent. My dad has upped our offering price for the jumbo. Sigh.. touched :)

I never knew my dad cared so much about us. And I realised that parents do a lot of things out of love and we missed the point. Sometimes, it's good to say also 'cos children like myself are not very sharp in picking it up! :D

Always thought about moving out to get away from my demanding parents. I don't know why, with regards to my loved ones, that I used to have such a short fuse; or that I always have negative assumptions about them. I think it takes a certain level of self-awareness to realise that.

I thank God that he has changed me. And I've seen His hand on my family. Yesterday was one of the 'manifestation' of it - seeing how He is able to transform the hearts of my family members. And even mine too! I've become more tolerant and feel so much more love to them - compared to indifference 3 years ago!

I'm just full of gratitude for Abba that He has moved mightily and is doing great works here! I thank You Lord for the salavation already granted to my family! Your faithfulness Lord, Your faithfulness!

So, seeing how much love and care my parents had in picking just the right house, (they've been searching for 3 months and filled 4 notebooks with all the houses that were visited!) I no longer have a desire to move.

Anyway, move to what? To who?

I rather be able to come home after work and be able to talk to them, keep them company. I want to be more filial. Like learn how to boil nutricious soup for them and all. Buy their favourite cantonese opera songs etc..

I think cherishing one's family is very satisfying. :) I haven't done that enough. And I thank the Lord, really, I would have never thought of such a thing being so spoilt - I thank Abba God that it is through Him, that heaven can be, and is, a place on earth!

No comments: