Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Reality, Winning and Seeing Jesus in others

What is reality?

How do we define reality? By own sense-knowledge? By our experiences? By what we see and feel?

Why is this important to think on? Because sometimes, our estimation of our own worth comes by what we see, what we experience. It comes by comparison of what I have, what others wealth. It is a measure of wealth, of health, of feelings.

Reality is not temporal. It is the Word. It is the gospel. Man lives by the Word of God. If we cling on to this as reality and discount our experiences as truth, whatever is in our hearts will soon produce the physical works, and not by our own efforts.


How do we win in life?

It is not about spending quiet time only. Doing spiritual-related activities like going to church. We are not blessed on that basis.

It is seeing Jesus all the time. Relating everyday things to the Word. Referring every problem to Him. Just coming to Him and even demanding, "Abba! How? I keep falling."

And to know that our falling cannot keep us away from Him. I'm just holding on and refusing to let my experiences define how 'good' a Christian I am; defining whether I am a good testimony or not.

If I allow myself to believe that - and everything starts with a tiny thought, I get distracted from the Word because this wrong assumption makes me feel like a hypocrite. How can I be preaching the Word when I can't even practice it?

But it's only by holding on to the Word - that's my only hope - by beholding Jesus and disregarding life experiences, by acknowledging that Jesus is my only reality, can I be transformed, can my circumstances be changed.


Burning Hearts

It is more important to Jesus that we see Him in the bible than we see Him physically.


Seeing Jesus in others

Man is made in the image of God - keep that in mind.

Once upon a time, a girl fell in love with a boy. They were young, they were in love, so they got married. But as time passed, she realised that he was an irresponsible young man. And although both were Christians, he just could not be bothered.

The lady on the other hand, was active in church. Divorce was out of the question. She started counselling in church and at times, would be involved in counselling some men from the church. But she was always careful not to become too involved.

Then, she met him. He was funny, witty, in love with God, generous and so easy to talk to. To her horror, she felt that she was falling in love with him. She turned to God and cried out to him. She felt condemned.

And God spoke to her. He told her that it was not that she was falling in love with him. She was falling in love with the aspects of Jesus that she sees in him.


Wow.. I never thought that there was this way of falling in love. But it's so true isn't it? Perhaps especially true for ladies, because we are not visual creatures ;P For myself, I tend to be more drawn to people who are in love with Jesus, who depend heavily on Him. It inspires in me feelings of respect, love and in some cases, a latent spark of attraction. I can just see the glory of the Lord in them. From them, flows living waters - words of wisdom that edifies and glorifies Him. It's like basking in the warm glow of love and hope.

It is not limited to just a life partner. To keep an eye out for aspects of Jesus in our brethren - that's quite exciting. :)

No comments: