Friday, June 24, 2005

Time after time

It's a late morning and I've overslept. I really dislike doing that. I feel like I robbed myself of time.

Time

On Tuesday, I had a packed afternoon schedule and I simply could not take public transport. All in all, I had two taxi trips plus a lift from a friend. But it already amounted to $30 for transport.

As I was calculating the time to take from one place to the other, I realised that it's not so much the comfort, but the fare that I was paying is actually the cost of time.

It made me realised that, hey, time is not cheap. But I'm allowing time to pass me by. Some people are always in a rush rush rush and they're so busy and stressed out all the time... So there is the other extreme. But I want to be at rest and wise with my time. Time is there for us to use, not for it to use us and tell us what to do.

There's a verse I don't quite understand yet. It says God will help us redeem the time because the days are evil.

What's redeeming the time?The interpretation I heard is that with the Lord, time can be 'lengthened'; what may take others hours, with the Lord's insights, may take minutes to solve.

I used draw up timetables and schedules and have grand plans on what I was going to accomplished.

But it is not so much time management. I used to think it was self-management. But on my own willpower (which is not much), I can't do much. Management of 'self' is not by self but by the Lord. We have died to self. It is no longer I who live, but Christ in me.

Practically though? How does that work?

When one's awareness is just so alive to Abba? It's casting all worries on Him (and not sneaking in and taking it back!)... Sometimes I remind myself that self-control is a fruit of the spirit. It does not come instaneously but through the watering of the word, under the nurturing of the son. And just by beholding, we are transformed from glory to glory.

Yes, we are in a maggi mee generation where we want to see results now, and fast! Yes! Faith is now! But with patience we inherit the promise.

And isn't love patient and kind and longsuffering?

That we might be of good cheer even when we go through trials and tribulations because He has overcomed. But faith is pressing in, pressing in, and letting the shalom peace of God guard our hearts, even as we wait.

And because the Lord is good and we have been satisfied with His goodness, we learn how to enjoy the process. Because perseverence produces character, produces hope. And hope does not disappoint because the love of God is poured out in our hearts by the holy spirit who is given to us. (Romans 5:1-5)

No comments: