Sunday, April 16, 2006

Seeing the beauty in others

Today I went for 4th service - and I was in the queue going to church. I was alone in the queue, just trying to meditate on what Easter meant in the midst of the hustle and bustle of Suntec. Was quite excited about going to church 'cos I was going to see Him!

It was already 4.25 pm and service was to start at 4.15 pm. Beside me, a lady began to grumble.

Now, she wasn't dressed well, was skinny, approximately was in her 50s - and she began complaining to me, a total stranger. Her face was in a frown and she started going on about why it was so long, why the people haven't come out yet, why did we always have to queue up, how she was told to come early etc etc. She didn't seem like a pleasant person.

Well, my mind could come up with a dozen reasons. 'Pastor is feeding the sheep; oh glorious revelations! Still many people come, well worth the wait etc etc..' but I didn't say it 'cos I felt it wasn't worthwhile to justify to her - she didn't seem to be in the mood to listen. And well, I think Abba asked me to keep my mouth shut. So I just smiled sympathetically, kept quiet, looked ahead, around occasionally. Not someone I wanted to carry on a conversation with. I just wanted to mind my own business.

After a while, she piped down 'cos I guess, I was not responsive. Then she wished me, "Happy Easter!" and smiled. We shook hands.

And I felt ashamed. Because I realised that I had been silently judging her by her words and conduct and dismissing her as someone who 'hasn't had that revelation of grace yet - or else she would be patient and wait cheerfully' Yet she had been the one to initiate the greeting.

Then she started talking about her work. Her english wasn't very good and I had difficulty making out what she was trying to say. But I felt that Abba just wanted me to listen to her - so I just nodded - and listen. She just wanted someone to listen to her. We started sharing; and as she talked, her face started 'glowing' and she started smiling. Oh! What a difference a smile made! She started giving glory to God... and the more she shared, the more she smiled.

Oh! She looked so beautiful when she smiled! Like she was lighted up within! Don't know where it was from, but suddenly, I just felt she was so wonderful, so worthy to be loved - how much Jesus loved her. And I leaned over, put one arm about her, to give her a hug.

She turned back to give me a hug too! A more proper one! With two arms! :D

The queue started to go in....

Then during worship, my mind recalled this incident. And I realized, that the love that I 'suddenly' felt for her was God loving her through me. I mean, He put me a position to virtually see a transformation in this beloved sister. From being sour-faced and griping about the queue to the glorious radiance on her face. I could literally see the Christ in her! When she started smiling, she was so beautiful! Obviously, it was not physical - she was reflecting His light.

He showed me how He sees us and loves us. I finally understood what my leader was telling me about God using me as an instrument to love others. Being a conduit is such a privilege! To literally be able to feel - it's supernatural! Because before God is able to touch that person, He touches my heart first! What an Easter present!

During worship, I was so moved when He thanked me for loving her, even in that short span of time. Yet I know the love I felt, is not mine, it's Him. In that few moments when I was with her and felt close to her, really, it's those moments on retrospect, that Abba's heart and mine are beating as one. It's abiding in His love.

I finally understood the true spirit of these verses in the gospel:-

Matthew 25:34-40

Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’

“Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’



Because from my perspective, the lady I was loving was her, but not really her. For those few minutes, I was loving Jesus in her. And that was why I was able to love her.

No comments: