Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Bless those

I was nursing a 'mosquito bite' these past two days.

Got irritated by someone and thought it was really 'big' of me not to retaliate. 'See?' I told myself a little smugly, 'I'm putting what Pastor preached into practise by turning the other cheek.' And then proceeded to write a post on it.

Lord, I repent.

Realised that post was a practise in self-indulgence and took it off-line.

I was on my great white throne musing about how magnanimous I was, whilst at the back of my mind thinking, "just let him try it again and see how christian I can be!" It occurred to me a little belatedly, that I'm letting it bother me. And it bothered me that I'm letting it bother me.

Then, out of the blue, the Lord said to me, "Bless him"

My immediate reaction was, "what?! Bless him? That stoopid guy? You want me to bless him?" I spluttered.

Ahhh.. so christian, so mature right? *sigh* am only human.

But because Abba had 'asked' me, I had to choke the words out. I sure didn't want to say it, so I labelled it "in Jesus' name".

So I went, "In the name of Jesus, I bless you XYZ with blessings - that the Lord may open the eyes of your heart; in the name of Jesus, blessings will come upon you..."

I was aware all the time I was saying it that I was speaking as a royal priest. And I sure didn't want them blessings that I'm saying coming upon him. :S Alas! Royal priest, what to do? Good as done :D

But strangely, it got easier the more I said it. And that mosquito bite that I was nursing in my heart subsided. My heart got lighter and lighter. Lighter than it was previously when I tried to "cast" it to the Lord.

The spiritual truth is that bad things happen to people who curse Christians - and we have to bless them to reverse this natural effect. (I've heard of an actual incident before)

And I understood, practically, what Pastor meant when he taught, "bless those who curse you."

When we bless and release the power of words, it frees us by releasing that grudge. Even though I knew I was nursing a grudge, I couldn't help myself. I wanted to let go, but I didn't want to. Confusing right? I'm ashamed to admit it's sickeningly 'shiok' to nurse one.

So when Abba said, "Bless him", I did that in sullen obedience. Did it only because Jesus wanted me to and because I loved Him.

Labelled the words "in the name of Jesus" and subconsciously recognising that I know I don't want to bless, but He can. And when He takes over..allowing me to speak His rhema words, wow, light as a feather and out of mind! :D

No comments: