Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Divine lover

He will rejoice over you with singing (Zephaniah 3:17)

Excerpted from "A Divine Invitation" by Steve Mcvey.

'I was teaching from this verse one day when Helena came to me afterward and said, "I was reading that verse not long ago and noticed that it says the Lord sings over us with joy. 'Lord,' I asked, 'Do you really sing over me? What could you possibly sing about me?' Immediately," she said, "one of my favourite old songs from years gone by popped into my mind, word for word.At first I tried to dismiss it, thinking, "This can't be the Lord.' but the song wouldn't stop and shortly I knew it was indeed the Lord singing a song to me."

Helena continued, "I heard Him sing to me, 'You are my sunshine, My only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are gray. You'll never know dear, how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away!' I realized then," Helena said, "just how much He loves me! To think that I am the sunshine of His life absolutely overwhelmed me!"

Someone might protest, "Why would the Lord sing a song to her like that one?" Don't think the only songs your Prince Charming knows are religious songs. He sang the song to Helena that He knew would thrill her heart. He wasn't singing to Himself, but to her. That's how wonderful our Divine Lover is. He knows your favourite songs, your favourite places, your favourite everything. Every good thing you enjoy in life is His love song to you.'


Earths crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
But only he who sees, takes off his shoes,
The rest sit around it and pluck blackberries.


Elizabeth Barrett Browning in her poem "Aurora Leigh"

And finally, a gentle invitation....


Arise, my darling, my beautiful one,
And come along.
For behold, the winter is past,
The rain is over and gone.
The flowers have already appeared in the land;
The time has arrived for pruning the vines,
And the voice of the turtledove has been heard in our land.
The fig tree has ripened its figs
And the vines in blossom have given forth their fragrance.
Arise, my darling, my beautiful one,
And come along....



Song of Solomon 2:10-13

No comments: