Thursday, August 11, 2005

The flip side of things

Today, I listened on a documentary on poverty in the Philippines and how young children jailed for petty crimes were kept with murderers, paedophiles in overcrowded prisons.

It seemed like a world away from my world.

Things likes poverty, hunger, racism, crime and so distant yet real.

I thank God that I was not born into that world. But looking on that documentary, awakened a desire for me to do something. Surely, we can and should do something.

I just recalled what the bible says, "We are blessed to be a blessing."

No matter how much compassion I have, it means ziltch if I cannot do anything about the situation. And if I want to help many, it is not by simply me going down there to help. As one person, I can't do much.

But, if I had lots of money (that's the blessing of prosperity), why millions of dollars can make a significant change to the situation.

I wonder how Jesus feels about this? Anger and compassion; love and patience.

With so much evil in this world, He still refuses to give up on it. You know, He is the Creator, He can simply choose to extinguish life - the sun need not rise.

Do you know that everyday is a miracle? But we don't, because it has become common. But the very first day the sun rose, where darkness once was, it was a miracle.

He holds our very breath in His hands. For as much as there is evil in the world, His compassion and love far exceeds it. It is incredible that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Sinners - that includes those criminals, murderers, terrorists... God loves the sinner but hates the sin. It's like loving someone but hating the cancer in the person. Is it the right analogy? I do not know. I cannot comprehend loving people who are paedophiles, terrorists.. I cannot distinguish the sin from the sinner. I am not God but that is what the bible says. Jesus Christ died for them too (sinners) and if they choose to accept Him, they shall be saved.

Who are we to say who deserves or deserves not to be saved?

We who measure the depravity of a sin according to man's standards.

But can we imagine what sin means to a holy God? What is God's standard? After all, heaven is His place. To Him, to have hated someone, is to have murdered. To have lust, is to commit adultery.

The effects of sin is misery and death.

Evangelism is propogation of the gospel - not for it's own sake but because where Christ is, there is life! There are blessings!

Our hands are so small. We can only do so much on our own to elevate the sufferings of others. Where with His mighty hands, He supplies the provisions, the wisdom, the love and patience to 'solve' these problems.

I do not want to be in that position of looking on and helpless. But I say Lord, bless me! Bless me that I may be a blessing to others! Lend me Your power and Your might to change the world! Not by my own strength Lord, but by Your spirit!

Oh Abba, I really don't know.. even now uncertainty suddenly floods my mind, but Abba, it's not what I think Lord. It is what You have written on my heart and it is up to You to make it happen. Amen.

No comments: