Monday, July 04, 2005

Daddy-God

Have you ever noticed a toddler being carried?

If he's asleep, he RESTS his head upon your shoulder. If he's awake, he RESTS his band upon the parent's heart and looks guilelessly around. What does it show? An unconscious connection and trust to the one he loves. Try to take that toddler away from mummy and daddy, and he screams. He wants that closeness. Between a parent and child, this closeness is conveyed by a physical touch, by a reassuring encouraging voice.

Why aren't we as jealous of the presence of Daddy-God? Sometimes, we are easily seduced by the distractions around us. As His child, we can depend on His presence, on Jesus, secured and confident that the expression of His love is in His giving.


Have you every noticed the features of a toddler?

Once, I had this beautiful angel fall asleep in my arms. (Children are truely 'fresh' from heaven.) I observed her to pass my time. As she lay in my arms, I could feel her gentle warmth and feel her breathing. She was so quietly alive in my arms, this little bundle of joy... :) I noticed the softness of her eyebrows. She was so close, I could count it. Oh, I just fell in love with her :)

At that moment, it brought to mind a verse from the bible where the Lord takes the time to number the hairs on our head. It's not only a matter of how much he knows about us. It's about how absorbed He is with us. But I feel, it also indicates how beautiful we are to Him.


[Ahh... I love kids. I want five. Once, it was 'at least four'. But I knew someone who was no. 3 of 5, and something clicked inside me, saying, 'hey, five is actually possible' ;P Hmm.. what about my man? After all, got to have some cooperation. :D Let's just say he'll get around to agreeing...haha.. Oh dear... let's get back to more Godly stuff :)]


Sunday service yesterday, we were reminded that God is our Father. Not the ominiscent, omnipotent all powerful heavenly father, but our Daddy. It's so different when our prayers start with, "Dad, I'm just so frustrated." There's a closeness so that we are not pai seh to bring all our rubbish to Him. Why? Because He's our Dad who loves us so so much... and anyway, He already knows all the horrible details of our lives. Isn't it great that we don't have to keep it inside but be able to unburden everything to Him?

Yesterday, Jove gave me this revelation:- (it just dropped from my head to my heart)

If what we do (our mistakes, our laziness, all our shortcomings) can thwart the plans that God has already laid up for us, we must be greater than God. :P

That really set me free! I have been looking at myself and sighing and measuring my success by what I see. I rejoice now, knowing that I can't stop Him in my life. Our future is already bright!

When Abba asks us not to worry, it's not that by not worrying we can change the future but that He loves us so much, He wants us to ENJOY waiting. It's like unwrapping your presents. I haven't seen my present yet, but I do enjoy unwrapping because I know there's something good inside.

How do I know it's good? Because my dad loves me, he has the money to buy what I like and in some cases, I had asked for it. How much more you Daddy-God? "Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!" (Matthew 7:9-11)

Knowing that what we do cannot thwart the plans that God has already laid up for us relieves me, I can start to understand "Obedience is better than sacrifice".

At first, this verse seems like a burden to me. I know what I should do, but I can't do it, no matter how much I desire to be obedient (Romans 7). But knowing that now, even if I'm disobedient, I can't stop His goodness in my life, because all blessings come from the finished work on the cross and not my obedience - well knowing that gives me the power and DESIRE to be obedient! Strange huh? There is just no logic behind it. But how wonderful is it's results!

The Word must be studied, not interpreted along our human infirmities (i.e. sense-knowledge and logic only) but in light of the cross. And what does the cross mean? The cross is not only a symbol. It IS the love of God. "In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins." (1 John 4:10)

Many people know, up in their heads that God is Father. We can even call Him Daddy. But what does Daddy mean? The love of Daddy-God is not a universal love. It is FOR you.

How to foster a closeness in a relationship? Like all relationships, it takes time. But the beatufiul difference is this, Abba Father is not like my earthly father. He is infalliable. His steadfast love never changes, unconditionally accepting, the same yesterday, today and forever.

A Holy God went to the cross to die as sin for you. Can we ever understand the cost?

Only Love held Him to the cross. He saw you and me. The joy that was set before Him. He saw His bride. He saw His family. And He chose death, that we may live.

"looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."
(Hebrews 12:2)

No comments: