Saturday, July 30, 2005

Movie buff and all the jazz

Okay, I'll admit it, I'm a bit of a movie buff. :D

Just got back from watching The Island

The following are my thoughts on movies I have watched. It'll be good if you've watched the movie too or you wouldn't know what I'm talking about.. movie reviews can be found on www.eopinion.com

I like sci-fi shows. I liked the premise of Minority Report and Star Trek Voyager and The Enterprise.

So between Stealth and The Island, I chose The Island.. to watch first.

The concept was intriguing. They were basically cloning people for 'spare parts'. Lots of action, good storyline and solid acting.

Ah.. but I'm only a woman! So what I really liked about the movie was.. Ewan MacGregor.. forgive me! ;) Sigh.. I'm helpless before the charms of a Scottish fellow.

In defence of my fallible feminine nature, I must say that I didn't go to watch the movie because of him.. honest!

But I must say, that watching the show reinforces my appreciation of him.. haha I'm sorry to say, I like it best when he was playing his somewhat debonair, caddish original version (i.e. Tom Lincoln in the movie)

It reminded me of his part in Down with Love. I tell you, he's got the charm and charisma that makes me take a second look. It's that glint in the eye, and that lifted eyebrow, as if saying "I dare you.." Dare what, I don't know lah.. oh dear, there I go, sounding like a silly thing.. hahaha.. Again, not my fault, my earthern vessel.. STILL beloved by Jesus! :D

And yes, I like 'talky' shows too. :)

The Sea Within - about Euthanasia. Now, I'm against it. But watching it really allowed me to see the other side of the matter. I can even empathise... the movie is pro-euthanasia actually. 'Legitimate', logical, emotional, compelling reasons for euthanasia.. Faith was not really portrayed in a positive light though.. To me, it gave me an insight into the pain of these people. And it reminded me - I am glad that I can cast all my cares and pain upon Jesus.. He carried it all for me at the cross.

You have made me glad
And I'll say of the Lord
You are my shield, my strength, my fortress, deliverer
My shelter, strong tower, my very present help
in times of need


The other one that I remembered watching this year is Before Sunset. The events happened in real time and was a sequence to Before Sunrise, which was a indie hit. It was all about the dialogue. We are allowed to peak into the couple's stimulating, intelligent, interesting conversation. The sex appeal here is in the mind.

The other genre that I like is action movies.

One of my all time favourites is The Mummy (both one and two!)

Also, Gone in 60 seconds.. oh I love them cars and the very hot looking Angelina Jolie. There was heart-pumping car chases and sleek eye candy to feast on (I'm talking about the cars). Thought that giving the cars' name was quite a hoot! :D

Like National Treasure too! Was attracted to the show initially because of it's historical premise - some treasure from the Civil War and all.. and of course, the puzzles and clues.. and action!

The big screen in the movie theatre is for us to make use of.. :D


And lately, am into a little bit of jazz.. quite beginner though..

I like to chill at HMV at the Heeren and check out all their music.. and depending on what album I like, may or may not buy it there. It's a little pricey over there.

Well, today I was strolling around the place. I like to go to the Classical/Jazz section on the 3rd floor. Sampling a CD titled The Best of Julie London.

Who is Julie London?

I don't know. But she sounds hot. And $22.50 for forty songs is quite a steal.

None of that pop, sugar and spice style of MTV or the harshness of rap. I think candlelight, satin sheets, glasses of champagne, a whiff of perfume, a sideway glance when I hear her voice. It makes me think and feel. It's not something easy to understand (like the catchiness of pop) but like wine, something to be savoured.

If you've been to HMV, the classical/jazz section is in an enclosed area. Outside, they were blasting J pop. It was from a group that I haven't heard in a long time.

Their group name translates to "Rainbow" but believe me, they are not your typical 'nice' boy band. These people are hard rock and their lead singer is pure power. His voice is sooo unique. He doesn't blast it. It's like when he sings, it's not only through his vocals (body) but from his soul.

It makes me feel nostalgic when I hear the music. When I heard it blasting through at HMV, I felt my flesh literally stirred. On one hand, I was tempted to indulge it by buying one of their DVDs, on the other hand, I know their music, stirring as it is, is definitely 'not edifying'.

Oh gosh, I can get so carried away by sound. When I heard the music, memories just come rushing back. Their music is so raw and powerful. It's like our passion directed at ourselves - rather than to Christ.

And to be honest, there is an incredible seductiveness (to me at least) in that - to lose oneself in that raw energy which gives instantaneous gratification but is transient

or to lose oneself in Christ, which is a slow tender fall into love, a time of wooing and being pursued, of revealing His beauties and eternal satisfaction and oneness with Him.

I stood, somewhat transfixed in front of the screen and sigh.. can I be real? prayed in tongues. Thinking back, it felt like Joseph and Potiphor's wife. Oh well...

God, is it okay to feel this way about worldly things? I know it's not okay.. how Abba? I do not understand Christian passion. And somehow, I missed feeling the extremes.. Lord, show me once again that Your Word, that You Jesus, is all the satisfaction I'll ever need.. and let me not get tempted by what I see or hear..

Remember Abba, my Father, my God? I have surrendered the keys to my heart to You, my life to You.. I don't want to take it back! You keep them, You keep me! Guard my heart Lord, with Your shalom peace, for out of it flows the issues of life! Okay, okay, I shall do my part to "let not" too.

Gee.. actually it's a little thing what.. what am I worried about? Stop looking at your flesh! sheesh..

Thank You Jesus! You love me very much! And I love You too! Kisses and amen!

No comments: