Saturday, July 30, 2005

Professionalism

Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon..

Proverbs - words of wisdom to live by

Ecclesaistes - worldly observations, cynical, tired, factual observations of life

Song of Solomon - a beautiful love song

All hugely attributed to Solomon.

To me, Solomon is an example of a 'professional' believer.

Why would the wisest man on earth, then, turn from the Lord? He would have KNOWN the consequences. He should have known that only the Lord satisfies. Why would a man who wrote about the snares of an immoral woman have so many foreign wives, and build altars to their gods?

The answer, I believe, is in Romans 7.

Romans 7 is a cry to the Lord for help. I always find it very encouraging to read it once again when I am disappointed with myself.

Romans 7:18-25

For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.

Solomon knew about the consequences. His heart was initially for God, but in His flesh, nothing good dwells.

Sometimes, after being moved by how much Jesus gave up for me because He loves me, my heart longs to do those things that would please Him. Yet, I fall into sin. And there's no such thing as 'unconscious' sinning. It was a choice I made. I chose to sin over walking in the light.

That is why the truth that there is "now, there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ," so precious to me. It gives me courage to come boldly to His throne of grace in repentance. And I know that He still receives me in love.. O blessed be His name!


Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good.

I am still in this fallen body. This earthen vessel. In the flesh dwells no good thing. I cannot rely on myself to do good. I cannot rely on my own will. I cannot do it because I am weak.

For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

We know what we should do in our mind. But on our own, we are captive to the law of sin. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners.. It is in our natural state.

O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?

It not 'what will deliver' (that I can do) but WHO will deliver - a person! Someone is the answer! The Son of God who will deliver me from this body of death!

I thank God - through Jesus Christ our Lord!

All that we need is wrapped up in Jesus Christ.. so also by one Man's obedience many will be maderighteouss! Hallelujah!

I turn my eyes from my own actions and deeds and look to my Saviour and Lord Jesus Christ, on the cross..Andd as I behold His loveliness, His beauty, His love, His fullness, I am transformed into His image!

So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

And even as I am saved and BEING transformed, I wait for the redemption of my body from this body of death.. as long as I am in my flesh, I am not surprised that I sin. But I have this confidence, that where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace mightreignh through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 5:18-21)

That even when I sin, I remember, Jesus paid for that sin too. He saw that I would fall even after knowing Him, and He still choose to count that sin as paid.. paid for by His blood! Oh Hallelujah! The blood that was shed for me! The death that He died for me! O the wonders of His marvelous grace! That He should die for one such as me!

His grace, undeserved and unmerited by nothing I can ever offer, freely given in spite of by sin - His payment for my sins made in His blood is much much more.. It is such a finished work that I AM the RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD IN CHRIST JESUS.

Blessings are on the head of the righteous! Not of man's righteousness but I AM His righteousness! Wow! Awesome AWESOME!


So even though Solomon knew what to do, what not to do, he still fell - despite having everything. Wealth, respect, kingdom, favour with men.. But without the Lord, it is nothing!

What is our sojourn on earth, but a temporal respite between eternities?

from Ecclesiastes

What profit has a man from all his labor
In which he toils under the sun?
One generation passes away, and another generation comes;
But the earth abides forever.

...
All things are full of labor;
Man cannot express it.
The eye is not satisfied with seeing,
Nor the ear filled with hearing.

That which has been is what will be,
That which is done is what will be done,
And there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there anything of which it may be said,


"See, this is new?"
It has already been in ancient times before us.

There is no remembrance of former things,
Nor will there be any remembrance of things that are to come
By those who will come after
.


...

I returned and saw under the sun that

The race is not to the swift,
Nor the battle to the strong,
Nor bread to the wise,
Nor riches to men of understanding,
Nor favor to men of skill;
But time and chance happen to them all.
12 For man also does not know his time:
Like fish taken in a cruel net,
Like birds caught in a snare,
So the sons of men are snared in an evil time,
When it falls suddenly upon them.


Finally, in the last chapter,

Remember now your Creator in the days of your youth,
Before the difficult days come,
And the years draw near when you say,
"I have no pleasure in them":

...

Fear (worship) God and keep His commandments
For this is man's all.


And after this weary observation of the meaning of life, there follows one of the most beautiful love songs in the bible.. (to be cont'd) :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

precious sharing! i have a sharing on my blog corcerning this struggle too. Find such comfort that God knew what we will be facing way advance, and He put the way of escape always right in front of us!

Unknown said...

looking forward for the 2nd part, this one is really full of oil of annointing and fragrance of Christ.

WOW..awesome!