Friday, July 15, 2005

Marketplace

You know, there's this term "Ministry in the Marketplace", and I've just been turning it over in my mind for a couple of months now.

Like what does it mean?

Okay, got lots of thoughts on it, so it'll be in point form. Don't want to write in long sentences 'cos it'll take up a lot of time..


Believe that wherever you on in your job and career, God has strategically placed you there. There is power in submission. If Abba wants you to move, believe me, you WILL know.

Church emblem: Word, Worship and Work. It's all inter-connected. God made man to work as well. Adam was a gardener.

But what exactly is Work? It's a Ministry. As with service in a Ministry, only after we have received can we serve.

When we serve, we give, not out of our reservoir of His love as that would mean that our ability to serve would fluctuate as our reserves run low. That's why people 'burn-out'.

Have to understand that service comes from the OVERFLOW.

Imagine, that you have a barrel of His love. Now this barrel is full of living waters. Service is NOT drawing FROM this barrel. But when we receive from Him (in worship, in bible study, in fellowship, on Sunday services), the living waters would spill from this barrel. We serve from THIS overflow.

Attitude. Ministry is exciting! It's not 'volunteer' work. It's full time. It's an OPPORTUNITY to GIVE. Not an obligation.

'Tis more blessed to give then to receive. Do you really believe that? I am only starting to get a revelation of that the more I start to realise how much He has already given to me.

Abba dealt with me concerning the nursery ministry. I just felt that He ministered to me so much! When I'm looking after a toddler - they're not cute all the time you know, He teaches me about my relationship with Him.

Last week, I was carrying a squalling toddler who wants his mummy. He's not really that sad, 'cos there were no tears, but Abba blessed Him who good lungs. :D Praise God! My ears... haha

So I'm holding this squalling child with fantastic lungs, and I'm praying in tongues between pacifying him and thinking thoughts to myself, "whether you cry or not, mummy is still coming back in 2 hours time, so why don't you enjoy the process?"

Sounds familiar? Our future is sure in His mighty and loving hands. But we look at the circumstances around us (mummy isn't here) and react - we worry and fret and ask why? why? why? waaahhhh! Through my experience, I just come to realise how patient Abba is to me. Now when I question because I want my way, and I think I know better, this picture comes to mind and I.. uh.. quieten down.

So that's why I look forward to nursery ministry. And it occured to me, if the marketplace is a ministry as well, why aren't I able to look forward to it? After all, it's not my ministry, it's His! It's not me serving, it's Christ within me.

Seems easy to say huh? Hard to 'do'?

Personally, nursery seems more special to me 'cos it's once every three weeks then I get to serve. But it shouldn't be the case. It doesn't mean that because we go to work everyday means that it's any less special. We should approach it the same way. We get to serve others as well.

How?

Well, aren't we the light of the world? We can give in so many little ways. Doesn't need to be a big thing. Have you ever tried counting the number of smiles you can give out? Going all out of the way, to enjoy working, 'cos you're unique, uncommon. Whilst the rest of the world have Monday blues, man, it gives me a thrill to sanctified, and set apart and different and joyful apart from the world 'cos I have Jesus. And He's mine mine MINE!

Think I got off tangent..

I feel most satisfied, fulfilled, when I can have the Word, Worship and Work in my life. It's a balance. And there's a frustration when He tells me to do something and my flesh rebels. And I don't do it and I don't like myself for not doing what He tells me to do.

That's why Abba has been speaking to me about submission for some time. :) (see below 'Submission' and 'It's okay to be real')

But when I submit, I feel, hey, that's the answer. I'm satisfied now. Reminded me of the time when I, as a non-believer, wanted to know everything about Christianity BEFORE I went to church. Got the whole thing upside down. A student who don't know anything, needs to go to the teacher.

Same here. I do not get the right 'feelings' or answers until I take that step of faith (no matter how small)

If it's His ministry, then His favour and grace is a given. And we can take lavishly from Him. And we can EXPECT to enjoy.

No comments: